Clinical diagnoses for alcohol dependence are now included in the 5TH edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5). Two separate diseases in the DSM-IV were merged into one in the DSM-5. As per the DSM-5, alcoholism may be light, medium, or chronic, depending on the intensity of the manifestations. More than 14 million persons aged twelve and above in the US in 2018 were estimated to have had an alcohol use disorder. Nearly a million individuals in Texas aged Twelve and above had an alcohol use disorder in the preceding year on aggregate, according to research conducted in 2016 and 2017.
Alcohol Consumption in Texas
In 2018, it was estimated that:
- Nearly 140 million people ages 12 and above consumed alcohol in a month, with more than 7.1 million of those ages 12-20 fitting into this group.
- In the preceding month, over 4.3 million persons between the ages of 12 and 20 participated in “binge alcohol consumption,” comprising over 67 million people over the age of 12.
- The prior month, over 16.5 million persons of legal drinking age, including over 0.8 million of those between the ages of 12 and 20, indulged in “heavy drinking.”
- More than 10.6 million Texas residents aged 12 and older, including over six hundred thousand those aged 12 to 20 years, are expected to have used alcohol in the preceding month, as per surveys performed in 2016-2017.
- In the prior quarter, over 5.3 million persons aged 12 and above, with over 300,000 individuals aged 12 to 20, indulged in “binge alcohol consumption.”
- More than 57% of Texas undergrads confessed to consuming alcohol in the preceding month in a 2017 survey.
- In the last year, more than two-thirds of adults acknowledged using alcohol.
- There were more than 78% who said they had used alcohol in the past.
- In the 30 days before the research, 37% of men admitted to consuming more than 5 alcoholic drinks in at any given time, while 7% admitted to consuming six or more drinks in the 30 days prior to that.
- In the past 30 days, 34% of women admitted to downing four or more drinks in a single sitting, and 4% indicated they had done so at least six times.
Data on Alcoholism Treatment in Texas
More than a million Texans 12 and older needed alcohol treatment in the preceding year but did not obtain it, per the polls performed between 2016 and 2017.
- More than two-thirds of the 16,166 Texas residents admitted to treatment for alcoholism in 2018 were male, according to the state’s statistics.
- More than half of those admitted were between the ages of 26 and 44.
- There were more Hispanic/Latino students at the university than non-Hispanic whites, with 29% of the total.
The Detox Programs of Skyward Treatment Center in Houston
Visit us at Skyward Treatment Center if you or a loved one in Houston, Texas, are in need of a specialized drug detox treatment in Houston. In Houston, Texas, we provide detox centers staffed by addiction treatment professionals that are ready to help addicts shift from drug abuse to sobriety. Contact us today to begin your sobriety journey.